We would love to help you create a Spiritual Growth Plan that fits your interests, time, and personality. Just as all of us are different, so should be all of our Spiritual Growth Plans! Let us know how we can help you. If you would prefer a book or article instead of a person to help you with your Spiritual Growth Plan, here are a few of our favorite resources!
These books are available in our library and in Grapevine Books bookstore!
- How do we grow in our relationship with God? A great book to help you understand how you grow in your relationship with God is M. Robert Mulholland, Jr.ís book Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation. This book is profoundly biblical and down to earth and would be a help to Christians at all stages of their spiritual journeys.
- A beginnerís book on spiritual disciplines. John Ortbergís humorous, yet powerful, The Life Youíve Always Wanted is an encouraging and challenging approach to a Christian life that's worth living, a life on the edge that fills an ordinary world with new meaning, hope, change, and joy. This easy to read book offers modern perspectives on the ancient path of the spiritual disciplines, and serves as a road map toward true transformation that starts not with the individual but with the object of the journey, Jesus Christ.
- The classic spiritual disciplines book. In the twenty years since its publication, Celebration of Discipline has helped over a million seekers discover a richer spiritual life infused with joy, peace, and a deeper understanding of God. Hailed by many as the best modern book on Christian spirituality, Richard Fosterís Celebration of Discipline explores the classic "Disciplines," or central spiritual practices, of the Christian faith. Along the way, Foster shows that it is only by and through these practices that the true path to spiritual growth can be found.
- Find Spiritual Disciplines boring, or just looking for a fresh approach to an old favorite? Adele Calhounís Spiritual Disciplines Handbook describes and explains 66 different spiritual disciplines. She shares ways that you can use the way God created you. Instead of just giving information about spiritual disciplines, this Handbook is full of practical, accessible guidance that helps you actually do them! She also includes a fuller Spiritual Growth Plan or Rule of Life that is helpful!
- Looking to discover how spiritual disciplines fits into your rhythm of life? Ruth Haley Bartonís Sacred Rhythms is a great starting place. A favorite of many at VPC since her conference here several years ago, this is a practical book on many of the classic spiritual disciplines.