Sexual abuse is real. It happens. It happened here.
What is sexual abuse?
- Sexual abuse is a devastating betrayal of trust and abuse of power.
- Sexual abuse is any sexual activity – visual, verbal, or physical – engaged in without consent. A child is never considered able to consent.
- Studies show that 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 8 boys will experience some sort of sexual abuse before the age of 18.
In April 2009, in response to a past situation involving sexual abuse within our congregation, and at the urging of some of the young women and their families who were victimized, the Session of VPC made a three-fold recommendation:
- to provide care and support for the young women abused and their families
- to educate and communicate with the VPC church family about sexual abuse
- to establish a future ministry of support and recovery for the sexually abused in our wider VPC family and surrounding communities
In June 2009, NewSpring was formed to fulfill these goals. These pages contain resources for you to learn more about sexual abuse and VPC’s response to this ever present danger in our broken world.