The Access Ministry is our disability awareness ministry tasked with ensuring that Vienna Presbyterian Church is inclusive and accessible to people with special needs so that all may participate in the life of our church.
For as in one body we have many members, and all the members do not have the same function, so we, though many, are one body ... we have gifts that differ according to the favor bestowed on each of us
We are privileged to be part of a church that has a heart for reaching all people with the love of God. We are striving to uphold the mission stated by Presbyterians for Disabilities Concerns:
To affirm that all people are created in the image of God, to affirm, support and advocate the gifts, rights and responsibilities of persons with disabilities in the total life of the church; and to assist the church to fully accept persons with disabilities and to embrace their gifts.
VPC is currently equipped with ...
- Parking for people with physical disabilities
- Wheelchair ramps and automated door openers into the church
- Elevators to move between floors
- Wide-access doorways and levered door knobs, wheelchair accessible restrooms and water fountains
- Bibles and hymnals in large print
- Braille nomenclature on elevators and room entryways
- Hearing impaired system for worship
- American Sign Language interpretation at the 11:00 a.m. worship service (if requested in advance)
Our dreams for the future ...
- Support Group parent-to-parent
- Family activities
- Transportation support
- Outreach to those in our community with special needs
Here's how we are meeting our goals to provide:
- Assistive listening devices available for worship;
- Large print worship resources (bulletins, hymnals); and
- Worship partners for the Friendship class to help navigate the worship service.
- For children up to age 5 in regular Sunday School classes,
- For children from age 5 - 11 in Friendship Club (in consultation with the parents),
- For students from age 12 - 17 in Friendship Teens and Friendship Chimes (in consultation with the parents), and
- For adults, in Friendship Class and Friendship Chimes.
At all-church events, including:
- Advent Workshop,
- Pancake Supper, and
- Ice Cream Social
Opportunities to Serve:
Serving in worship by:
- Reading scripture,
- Giving a Minute for Witness, and
- Playing in the Friendship Chime choir
Serving the community by:
- Picking up communion glasses after the 9:30 am worship service;
- Helping with church suppers and coffee hour;
- Walking in the Vienna Crop Walk for hunger relief; and
- Working with the Vienna Church Coalition for Housing (VCCH) family service projects.