Please consider joining us on our next trip to Haiti with the Teacher ProfessionalDevelment project. As those interested in education, we know that it can be the ticket out of poverty for many children and their families. Following are a few startling statistics:
- Approximately 75% of all teachers lack adequate training; many have just a 9th grade or 12th grade education, with no teacher training at all.
- One third of girls never go to school - 500,000 children overall will receive no education.
- Only 30% of Haitian students will make the 3rd grade.
- 70% of all Haitian students are over-age for their grade levels.
- Haiti is ranked 177 out of 186 countries in the world for education spending.
- Only 15% of teachers at the primary level have basic teacher qualifications, and nearly 25% have never even attended secondary school.
- 37.9% of the population is unable to read or write, as compared to only 12% illiteracy in the rest of Latin America.
Thank you to all those who have supported the work in Haiti with the Teacher Professional Development project. Your prayers and donations mean so much to the teachers, children, and families as well as teams going to Haiti.
We believe the best way to help fight poverty is to help the poor help themselves through educational opportunities, and teachers helping teachers can make the difference!
If you would like to go with us on our next trip, please contact Emmy Parker. If you would like to make donations, please consider things like: manual pencil sharpeners we can screw on walls, tools to teach math and science, wordless books, books in French, books with great photos to teach health and science. We also can use money to purchase books in Creole.
We look forward to the exciting possibilities of working with the educators of Haiti!