In all baptisms, God is at work in the life of the one being baptized, assuring us of our cleansing from sin, our participation in Christís death and resurrection, and our welcome into the household of God. It is one of the most significant parts of our worship experience. At VPC, we baptize infants and children before they can speak for themselves, believing that God claims us as His own before we choose Him. We also baptize youth and adults upon their profession of faith, accepting Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Baptisms are performed during a Sunday morning worship service, thereby involving the entire congregation in the promise to participate in the Christian nurture and encouragement in the life of the baptized.
Baptisms may take place in one of the following manners:
- Infants and Young Children of VPC Members: Infants and children may be baptized on scheduled Sundays (see Baptism Dates below). Please note that parents must attend a Baptism class prior to their first child being baptized; the parent class is not required for successive children. See more information below on the Baptism Classes.
- Elementary Children: It is recommended that elementary children attend the Sacraments Class. Look for an announcement in the February/March bulletins. You may review the weekly announcements from the Sunday Bulletin online.
- Teens: It is recommended that teens attend Confirmation Class. Look for the start of this class in the August/September bulletins or for an announcement at Sunday School or Youth Group. You may review the weekly announcements from the Sunday Bulletin online.
- Adults: Adults may be baptized by joining VPC and becoming a member.
A Baptism certificate will be mailed to the family within several weeks following the Baptism.
To schedule a Baptism, please use our online registration form. For more information, contact Deb Crumbliss at 703-938-9050 x108 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Baptisms are normally held the second Sunday of each month, with some exceptions. Please note that VPC requires parent attendance at a Baptism class prior to their first child receiving this Sacrament.
Baptisms are currently scheduled for the following dates:
To schedule a Baptism, please use our online registration form. For more information, please contact Deb Crumbliss at 703-938-9050 x108 or email@example.com.
Anyone planning to have a child baptized at VPC must first attend (or have previously attended) a Baptism class offered by VPC. The parent(s) attendance at this class is required only before the first child is baptized; attendance is not required prior to each additional child being baptized.
All classes will be held at 11:00 am on Sunday mornings in room 311 (unless stated otherwise). They are normally scheduled once a quarter. The next classes are tentatively scheduled for:
- June 8, 2014 (Class will meet at 11:00)
- September 28, 2014 (Class will meet at 9:30)
For more information, or to schedule attendance at a class, please contact Deb Crumbliss at 703-938-9050 x108 or firstname.lastname@example.org.